Choosing between Flash Website Design or CMS Web Design – The Pros and Cons Compared
As a web designer, we frequently get a brief for a new site and the example given is a Flash website. However often the features of a flash website are not what is needed and it was only chosen because flash often has a great visual appeal. Below are some guides to help in deciding.
There are two directions to go with a new website. A full Flash site or regular site, i’ll put the pros and cons of each below to help you decide.
1. Full Flash Site – example below
– fully animated on any part of the page
– fades and animations between pages
– great visual appeal
– cannot be updated by owner, needs a flash designer for updates
– can be slow to load
– cannot be viewed on iphone
2. Regular Site – examples below
– can be updated by the owner using a content management system (CMS)
– can be viewed on all devices including iphone
– any graphic design can be used but without the movement.
– limited areas of flash animation can be included such as an entire entry page, or banner.
– does not do full animation or interactivity.
– each page is seperate, so sound or animation does not continue between pages.
Examples of my sites, they are regular sites with some flash included in limited areas.
http://livingshade.com.au/interiors/ (includes animated banner on sidebar)
http://progressiva.com.au/ (PR site including flash banner)
Option 2 is the type of site we specialise in so please have a chat with us about how we can help you. If you are keen on Flash you should ask around for a flash specialist.
Best wishes for your new site.